Monday, September 20, 2010

It's that time of year again! This Year... Airplane Birthday Cake!

My baby has turned 6! SIX!!! How the heck did that happen? It seems like *just* yesterday that I was being turned inside out (literally, lol) after 54 hours of labor! Well... maybe not yesterday... but recently, lol.

So.... as you may or may not know, I tend to go a *tad* overboard when it comes to the kid's birthday party. I don't think I blogged last year's firetruck party (we got a real firetruck to come to the party for the kids to climb on and I made a firetruck cake.... it was totally cool), so I'll be sure to do that soon.

But on to this year's party.

We had an airplane party this year. So, of COURSE, we had to have an airplane cake! Dearest hubby made me a super fabulous base to build my cake on to make it look like it was flying.


When I make a cake, I tend to use my ruler, computer and scissors as much as I use a spatula! lol It tends to be more of an "arts and crafts project" than a cake! lol

Photobucket


Visualization is KEY!

Photobucket


Now... I have an oven that bakes SUPER unevenly, so I end up having to bake FOUR 9x13 cakes just to get enough cake to carve the final product out of.... Hubs calls this the "frankenstein approach" to cake decorating.

Photobucket

(note the super awesome frame.... and please ignore the messy kitchen, I baked four 9x13 cakes, 40 cupcakes, made a double batch of buttercream and 2 batches of fondant all in one day... I was getting a little frazzled near the end to say the least)


Crumb coat!

Photobucket

Photobucket



Aaaaand we have fondant!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Before you think I am too awesome.... check out the underside.... it was UGLY!! lol I was *supposed* to put a bunch of cotton underneath for "clouds" to cover that up, but the cotton disappeared, so that didn't happen.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Now.... just add a little edible paint......

Photobucket

Photobucket


Add some Fondant covered rice krispie engines... and you've got an AIRPLANE CAKE! Wahoo!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I think he liked it!

Photobucket



ETA 10/7/2010 A friend of mine emailed me and told me that I forgot to blog LAST year's firetruck cake and party. I PROMISE that I'll post it later this week. Watch this space!

1 comment:

Ary said...

Hi... I've been searching for a cool airplane cake design and ran by your blog post for your son's airplane cake. It turned out AWESOME!!! You did a great job. Can you give a little more detail on how your husband made the base? What did he he use and what's holding the base?
If you can help it'll be awesome.
I would love to make this cake for a friend of mine who's a pilot.

Thanks
Aryelle (aryelle2685@gmail.com)